Sunday, October 21, 2007

Timed Essay Tests

Apparently, as a way of preparing us for the dreaded GOEs (General Ordination Exams) a few professors have decided that giving us timed essay tests would be helpful. What I have learned from taking two timed essay tests recently is that I AM SO SCREWED! I can't believe how much more difficult it is to write a simple essay under a time limit. For my Worship in the Episcopal Church course I had to write a 3 - 4 page essay on a question about previous BCPs. A simple question about comparing two BCPs and writing specifically about the theology of one of them. Really no big deal. I actually knew the answer, all I had to do was write it down in a semi-coherant way in 3 hours. I analyzed and prepared, and then wrote for three hours. I then printed the paper out and prepared to hand it in. Then I made the mistake of READING it. Uuuugghhhh! It was awful! I sounded like an idiot in my response. Three pages of "random thought - random thought - random thought." The only good thing about it was the intro paragraph and the conclusion. Everything in between is....well....crap! I don't know how I am going to pass the GOEs! Lord, have mercy!

3 comments:

Merely Human said...

You and me both, Brother Bear.

Frank said something helpful to me last week. He suggested focused study for the GOEs. Not because you can actually study and not because you have any chance of guessing questions or knowing all the content - but you study in order to manage your anxiety. So that you know some things and you've spent some time not just worrying about it but working toward it. In the meantime it sort of provides a good review of what you've learned in seminary - again, not because that material will necessarily be on the test but because it helps your anxiety to develop some confidence in some areas.

That might not be helpful to you, but it helped me, for what it's worth. Now finding time to do that focused study? Ya got me there.

Jennifer said...

Do you have a study group at your seminary? Or anything to help structure your preparation/studying?

I'm also taking them in January, and it's been helpful to be collaborating with peers -- I'm preparing more for the timed writing than studying for substance, but either way it's nice to be working with a group of friends.

(PS, I actually blog over here)

Raisin said...

So, was this paper as awful as you thought it was?