Thursday, May 3, 2007

Candidacy! Woo Hoo!

Well, it's been 5 years, 3 months, and 1 day since I started down this particular path of God's calling, and just received my letter of Candidacy from the Bishop. As of April 24, 2007, I am officially a Candidate for Holy Orders in the Episcopal Diocese of Chicago! Hallelujah!
It's a weird feeling to finally reach this point. I feel like I should feel different, or look different, or act differently. It feels like there should be more of a signification to this milestone. The fact is that I got a short pleasant letter from the Bishop's office informing me of my candidacy. It really doesn't change anything...at least not anything blatantly apparent to me. When I became a postulant, they let me attend seminary. Now that I am a candidate, nothing new really occurs.
I also feel vaguely guilty about telling anyone about it. There are so many people here, even in my small class, that have been beat up by their dioceses. I feel like I should just keep the news to myself to avoid hurting anyone's feelings. (hmmm, maybe that means blogging it wasn't such a great idea. Hmmm.)
Well, it is a bizarre experience so far, but at least I get to check another precious box on that huge 55 step project called Discernment for the Presbyterate.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Congrats!!!

Ryan said...

Congratulations C, this is a wonderful piece of news!

-R

Unknown said...

Court, speaking as one who has been beaten up and is not immediately enroute to ordination, I get really excited when my friends are treated well. Celebrate, my friend. I am super happy for you, and only a little sad that you didn't feel like you could tell me.