Friday, June 27, 2008

Learning the Ropes

As the new "Associate Rector for Family and Young Adult Ministries" (read that: Youth Pastor), I am struggling to figure out just how to do my job. Everyone seems to smile a lot at me, waiting with baited breath for me to do something spectacular, but I seem merely to be really busy just learning everyone's name. Starting youth ministry in the summer means that the youth don't meet very often and most of what I do is hypothetical planning for the start of the program year. The parents seem encouraged by my ideas so far, but appear to be waiting for something in particular (of which, I know not what). The youth themselves are pleasant and nice (and incredibly intelligent, scarily so!), but seem a little wary of the "new guy." They are very much like caged wild animals, pacing slowly, trying to decide just how much lethal force they need to use to defend themselves against any stupid ideas I may have about what youth ministry should be. I didn't realize that starting ministry was going to be quite so.....uneasy...tentative...unsure. Hmmmm, why can't God just call me to do stuff that I am already really good at??? Growth is tough! Lord, send me strength!

No comments: